Thursday, August 5, 2010

Queer Screening: Take One




Today I finally built up the courage to attend my very first uni’s Queer Department event. It was a fortnightly screening of a GLBT movie, and the movie aired this week was a French movie named Clara’s Summer. It’s basically a story about Clara’s (a teen lesbian) coming out when she went to summer camp.



The movie event was pretty interesting, although it clashed with another university union meeting, so most of the people that were there for the movie had to attend the meeting. As the queer officers of the previous term had to be there, and so did the queer officers running for the next term.

Well for the first part of the meeting I was actually the only Asian there, which was sort of weird, but nonetheless the people there were pretty interesting. And then about half an hour after I was there, the current queer officer came in, he was actually another Asian dude as well, which was cool, because it made me less self-conscious about being the only Asian there.

Contrary to what Evann believes, the people there were pretty friendly… Although I think there wasn’t much of an opportunity for me to mingle as a lot of people had to attend the other union meeting to support/vote for the new office candidate nominations…

Anyways, I think I will attend another of the meetings further in the future, but hurray for me acually getting the courage to attend this one in the first place. My very first Queer meeting in all the five years I’ve been in uni. Phew, that’s another tick off the list of things I need to do before graduating.

Sorry guys for the lack of updates, but I’ve been uber busy getting ready to come back to Aussie previously, then settling down again. I’m hoping to have more frequent updates in the near future. Cheerio

Signing out.

5 comments:

  1. If i have the chance I would definitely join u in the Queer events...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Already five years there? Aspire to be one of the officers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cuz you're from the same uni so they consider you to be one of them! Lol! Cool though that you've finally joined in on their events! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Beyond, if u came to visit anytime from now until the end of my studies, you can come to the meetings with me.

    Nah Will, I'm nowhere near that out. Thats Evann's forte.

    LoL Evann, one of them? not really yet... and just as I thought... very dykish, although there was this cute french exchange student :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you met a few people there :) Expand the circle!

    ReplyDelete

Findings