Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Finger In The Door

Hmm, I had a sudden epiphany as my index finger was slammed shut into the door of my car today. Maybe I shouldn’t worry so much about others and start to think of myself more.

What happened was that after an early morning gym session as I was leaving the car park, another car signalled that she wanted my place. So in I hopped to my car and tried to exit the parking spot as quickly as possible so as to not hold up the traffic waiting behind her.

Me being me, I’m usually quite a clumsy person, so in my rush to exit quickly, I kinda slammed the tip of my index finger in the car door. OUCH! Seriously OUCH! Luckily it was only the tip… hence there wasn’t much damage to the finger. Much…

On my drive home, I started to wonder, why the fuck should I care about exiting the parking spot quickly in the first place? She wanted the spot, so she should be patient and wait for it. And screw all the other cars waiting behind her… But then I think of all the times I wait forever behind a car coming out of a parking spot because he/she takes their own sweet time while holding up the traffic and is wasting everyone else’s time. And I seriously don’t want to be one of those mother fuckers that waste others’ time…

Sigh… is it true that I sometimes put the priorities of others ahead of my own priorities? I don’t know the answer to that… but what I do know is that after slamming my finger in today… I’m going to start to be more careful, and not hurt myself in the process just to please others.

I guess getting my finger squashed is also partly my own clumsy fault… but seriously, in my defence, I would have certainly have been more careful and less clumsy if I wasn’t in a hurry.

This reminds me of the bridge in Sara Bareilles’ song ‘King of Anything’. The bridge goes something like:

All my life I’ve tried to make everybody happy
While I just hurt and hide
Waiting for someone to tell me it’s my turn to decide

Its a very nice song, with a catchy tune. You guys and gals should check it out :)

Signing out.

4 comments:

  1. You are just a very considerate person. Nothing wrong with that at all, except for the occasional Ouches! rofl
    +Ant+

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was swollen for half a day medie... but because it was only the very tip of the finger... the swellings pretty much gone now... only the sore feeling left.

    LoL Anton, I'd rather do without the 'occasional' ouches :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EVen reading about it makes me go ouch!

    ReplyDelete

Findings