Friday, October 9, 2009

Awkward Wall of Silence

I actually went on a date lately… someone from fridae :) and enjoyed myself quite a bit. It was a lunch date, a plain lunch date… not lunch with sex on the side, just plain lunch by itself. Now as I said, I thought the date went pretty well, the liking for each other’s company seemed to be mutual and we had quite a bit in common between us.

But despite having many things in common, the date still came to a point whereby there was the deathly awkward silence and lost for words. I guess its like any normal first date isn’t it? Once you get pass the pleasantries: What do you study? Where do you stay? Where do you like hanging out? … When we’ve exhausted all the usual first date topics, we approach the wall of silence, where there is a period of awkward silence.

If you’re lucky, you would have got pass most of the meal and can then ask for the bill, then part ways after that… or head back to someone’s place to fuck your brains out. If you’re unlucky… then the awkward wall of silence would have hit you only half way through the meal, and you would have to endure sitting through the other half in that awkward silence with building anxiety and uncomfortableness… that sometimes is even enough to ruin sex after the meal… if you were planning for any.



Anyway, thankfully as I said we seem to like each other… at least I think I liked him… or rather found him pleasant. And thank all of the heavens above, because as we were staring at the wall of silence for a while… feeling the silent awkwardness building up, we suddenly found another mutual topic to talk about… we both actually went to Sydney at the same time over the school break :) Well that opened up a whole new list of topics about the places we visited and liked..

Silence maybe be golden, but I sure ain't a freaking gold digger.

All I’m saying is that silence may be golden, but on a date, especially a first date, gold is seriously the last thing on my mind. All I want is for the date to go smoothly… and for me to have a good time. So I’d like to wish good luck to everyone on their first dates, in their conquest of overcoming the awkward wall of silence.

Signing out.

5 comments:

  1. dating... OMG! I nvr tried it before. Meeting new people have always been hard for me coz I find it difficult to be who I really am. To be natural in the conversation. I would smile ALOT! I could guess my 1st date will be a total humiliation =.="

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personality of 2 person will be the cause of the silence awkward moment.. If a person is chatty, you wish he could stop, if a person is a quiet type, you wish he could talk... So if both are quiet, best is to come up with some random questions like, what do you usually do?? What's your hobby...

    Or to kill that awkwardness, try dating bloggers !! Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silence is like cancer! Break the silence~~~

    But yeah, I get where you're coming about the quiet moments during dates. I get that quite often. The mind has to constantly think of things to talk about. Like your favourite movies, music, celebrity gossips, or you can even talk about the cute guy sitting on the next table. Heheh.

    Well, tell us more about this mysterious guy you're dating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. dont worry bravybear, ive learnt that smiling always helps :) so at least you know you cant go wrong by smiling.

    dating bloggers? jerry, does that mean i can start asking you out?

    evann, the mysterious guy is just a frien... not sure if there is anything more there... i hope there is, but dont think he means to be anything more than just friends... on another note, care to join me and jerry on a 3-way date :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woww, that's probably the most unromantic way I've been asked out on a date... but, I ACCEPT! xD

    ReplyDelete

Findings