Wednesday, October 28, 2009

OMG! Thats So Gay!

Recently I did come out to one of my best straight male friend that I am gay. And err, so far almost everything is as it was before I came out, not much has change. Which I guess it’s a good thing, it means me being gay really has nothing to do with our friendship at all… everything is just status quo.

However, one thing that remains status quo that sort of bugs me is that he still uses the term ‘gay’ for something bad. For example he would still say things like, “Omg, that lecturer is so gay… she gave us such a hard assignment for only 10%!” or he would say “I can’t believe they charge so much for a cup of coffee, that’s like soo gay!”

Well before I came out, I guess we did use the term ‘gay’ to describe bad situations very often… and it seems that now even after I have came out, we’re still using that term… or rather he is still using that term. Sigh, I’m not sure if I should feel relieved that me being gay isn’t a big deal at all, so much so that his attitude towards me, including his usage of the word gay, hasn’t changed; or should I take offence that even though he now knows that I am gay, he still uses the term ‘gay’ to describe something bad, which in some sense is derogatory to me… since I’m gay.



Anyhow, I haven’t said anything to him… coz like I said, I am pretty relieved that our friendship is still status quo, even after I have come out to him… which is a good thing… :)

Signing out.

4 comments:

  1. Its nice that your friend is fine with it. Maybe you try talk to him that you are a little uncomfortable with that 'gay' usage to describe bad situations. Honesty is the best policy! or is it really... I wonder... hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos for coming out to ur fren and kudos to him for accepting u for who u are.

    Just tell him how u feel about the usage of the "gay" but don't expect him to change overnite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way I see it, that's actually a good thing. I don't want my friends to change and be sensitive around me or think that I've changed and that I'll become sensitive to what they say or do. But I guess it's a personal thing and if you're not comfortable with it, then well just let him know! :)

    Maybe you can take it as a joke and the next time you describe something bad, you can say something like "Ohmygod eww that's so straight!" Take it easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea honesty is the best policy, as my new post says... but bb, im not sure if it is the case here...

    sigh... yea, i guess i can expect him to change just coz now he know im gay rite? i mean to be honest, i dun really want him to change... do i?

    omg eww thts so straight... haha i like that :)

    ReplyDelete

Findings