Monday, November 2, 2009

White Lies



Telling a white lie sometimes is good isn’t it? I mean, if you can lie to another person for a good cause… isn’t the lie justified then? I always believe in white lies… but at the same time I also believe honesty is the best policy. Sounds impossible to work out both ways… well I’ll tell you how it works out; I believe in white lies when I have to tell them, and I believe in honesty in the sense that other people should always be honest with me and never lie. Hahaha… How hypocritical right? Sigh… I guess that’s just me sometimes.

I was recently lied to by a friend. It was sort of a while lie, cause he didn’t want me to worry about him and ask him a tonne of questions. Anyway, the story goes like this… this friend of mine was suppose to go on a holiday trip out of town to 2 different cities. Before he left, we met up briefly for some drinks… and he told me that he is meeting a ‘friend’ in the first destination, and then they would be travelling together in both the first and the second city. Btw, just to clear things up, this friend of mine is gay of course, and when I say ‘he was meeting a friend’ I meant someone he met online.

Well, that was his story before the trip… and even during the trip when I sent him some text messages… this ‘friend’ of his was mentioned a few times. And then all of a sudden after his trip, when we caught up for coffee, his story changed to, “oh, I was living with family in the first town, then went to the second town alone, oh I had a great time!”

I was thinking to myself, you had a great time? That’s mighty fine, but in the back of my mind I kept wondering why is he changing his story, and why is he lying to me??? So he has a boyfriend, so he went on holiday with another guy. Fine, I know he doesn’t like his boyfriend very much anyway, and they aren’t getting along well… but it just kept playing in my mind over and over again while we were having coffee ‘why did he feel he had to lie to me?’

Anyway, not one to let things rest when they don’t seem right… I approached him on msn a few days later and tried to clarify things with him honestly. I told him I honestly don’t like being lied to, and honestly feel that I’m too young to have my memory fail me at this stage in life. So I asked him why did he feel the need to lie to me about the before and after details of his trip.

We had a very honest conversation, and he told me that he changed the story for everyone else as well (not just me) because he didn’t want anyone judging him. He was still with his boy friend, and they were on the rocks, so he needed time away. And he didn’t want other people judging him for going on holiday with someone else, someone he technically only knows online. So yea, I sorta understand where he is coming from… but I told him that he can be honest with me, and don’t feel that he has to lie to me just because he feels I will judge him :) I’m glad we had that conversation though, cause now as friends we are much closer.

So guys out there, honesty is important and so are white lies… but when u accidentally mix them both up and cant remember who you were honest to and who you lied to… things can get pretty complicated. Luckily I was just a close friend of his… not his boy friend… LoL

Signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Findings