Saturday, September 25, 2010

Unknown Baggage

The modern world is a very cruel place. Sometimes it is the hostile environment that makes its inhabitants evil, and isn’t the evil inhabitants that make the environment hostile. I am currently on a flight to the capitol of Australia for a short holiday visiting friends. I brought my laptop along and all the PDF journals that I need to read, so it wouldn’t be as if I won’t get any work done on the trip. Its just that with all the stress related lab work and design work in Melbourne, this would be a great getaway for me.

I suggest that the hostile environment makes its inhabitants evil because I encountered a scenario that perfectly fits the bill when at the airport moments ago. While queuing up to board the plane, there was this old lady that started lining up two persons behind me in the queue. She was casually dressed and held a very heavy looking hand carry that didn’t have wheels. I personally think bags with wheels are the best invention for ladies that can’t carry the heavy load of their luggage.

This old lady however wasn’t using one of those bags, she was just carrying a normal hand carry. And deep inside me a full-fledged debate immediately broke out. On the one hand I wanted very badly to help her carry her luggage up the flight, because it looked too heavy for her frail figure; but on the other hand, I kept hearing the voices in my head reminding me not to ever carry luggage for strangers in airports, especially the baggage of frail looking elderly folks.



The reason for these is the countless emails and warnings I get from friends and family that says if you mindlessly carry baggage for random folks in the airport, you may end up being a drug mule without even knowing it. And when you do find out you’re carrying drugs for the stranger, it would be too late because its probably the customs that’s telling you about the drugs.

So I ended up not helping the old lady with her heavy bags, and no one else offered to help her as well, probably because of the very same reason I have. I felt very bad not helping the lady as it just wasn’t right. I mean you really don’t have to attend moral classes (yes! I’m taking a swipe at the Malaysian education system) to know you should help frail looking, helpless, people when they look like they need the help. But what happens when there are people out there exploiting this righteous feeling and go around randomly recruiting unknowing drug mules?

Its really a sad sad situation, its because of all the warnings and emails I get about not helping strangers carry stuff in airport for fear of being a drub mule that I didn’t help the old lady. Was I really being a mean person? Or is it that the current environment forces me to be mean in order to safeguard my own wellbeing? Sigh… This post was posted the moment I could get to a hotspot in Canberra...

Signing out.

9 comments:

  1. I have the same thoughts as you if I'm in your shoes... the newspapers has highlighted cases like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Err.. I'm sorry but I have to say this.. It's utter bullshit. I'd help an elderly without ever thinking twice. If ever the email thingamajig happens and you find yourself held up with customs or even the police, you don't have to worry about getting into trouble, especially with the Australian authorities.

    So don't be stupid. If you're an honest person, you will never get into trouble for helping someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've encountered this situation a few times. My solution was to immediately approach the airline or airport staff, highlighted the situation and got them proper assistance.

    I have to disagree with Evann on this. To me, it is stil a no-no especially with so many drug muels around. Australia is no exception since it has many cases. Lots of drugs are still meant for Ozland but many intercepted on transit points eg. KL and Bangkok. Some would still manage to reach the final destination though.
    +Ant+

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you made the right decision. Airport is among the most hostile places around nowadays and the security is extra vigilant especially with all the terrorism, drug smuggling, etc etc.

    Being careful definitely trumps morality in this issue.

    And you don't have to listen to that fella, let him get into trouble if he wants. Who is he to judge you stupid anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  5. In reply to Ant, it doesn't matter if it's in Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, or anywhere in the world. Even if there weren't any drugs in that bag, it's not that easy to put the responsibility and ownership of the bag onto someone else, or to even involve that person into the whole content trafficking process. In fact, it's virtually impossible. Unless you were sleeping with the old lady the night before and she had your used clothes with your scent in the bag, of which she could say that the bag was yours instead... I don't see why I should be so 'chicken' about helping someone because I was honest and knew between what's wrong and what's not. Since when did righteousness ever be so afraid to do what's right because of a mere fear that it will turn around and bite us in the arse? Yes, I'm not afraid to get into trouble; simply because I know that I won't!

    I know it's better to be safe than sorry... But there's no evidence to justify the authenticity of these email warnings. It may have happened before.. that some elderly were trafficking and tried to put the blame onto someone else. But was it successful?

    And hey, if your conscience is clear about not helping an elderly in the first place, then we wouldn't be talking about this now. So I hope you'll sleep as well as I will tonight. Cheerios.

    P/s. I'm not personally bashing anyone or everyone with my comments. I'm just giving my two-cents... Cuz I believe that what "comments" mean. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoa, chill...

    I'm just saying that because there is the possibilty of the old lady being a drug traficker, I felt bad for not helping her.

    Its true that if none of the other belongings are mine, it'll be hard to pin me as the owner of the bag. But if I were carrying the bag, I'll still be held responsible with whatever I carry. And then there will be all that extra trouble with the police that I wouldnt need, especially being just a student on a student visa here...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa Artic-chill...

    Come to the edge, she said.
    He said: I'm not afraid, I have no fear.
    Come to the edge, she repeated.
    He came.
    She pushed him and he flew
    +Ant+

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heh well yes I suppose that it's just avoiding the hassle with customs that'll be the big pointer. No biggie. Anyhoos, where are you? Airport? Leaving Melbourne? You're not back in KL, are you??

    Lols Ant! What was that? xD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ev, it was my weird mind at work! lolz
    +Ant+

    ReplyDelete

Findings