Friday, September 3, 2010

Partying With The Freaks

Last Friday I attended yet another queer event by the uni, this time it was a fundraiser party to help raise funds for the queer department in uni. I was first notified of the event through facebook, as one of the committee members sent me the invite through it. It was advertised on that event page as a fund raising event for the queer department, with a description of an entry charge and cheap booze. Twas called the 'FREAKPARTY' !

OMG my Facebook settings!

When I first received that event invite, I started being paranoid that my friends would be able to trace that event to a homosexual nature and determine my sexuality. The paranoia in me not only prevented me from RSPV-ing the invite, but also triggered me to re-evaluate my facebook privacy settings, just to ensure my friends can’t see my group and event page. Only after meticulously going through the difficult to navigate facebook privacy settings page, and being sufficiently confident that my sexuality is not in any way advertised on facebook, did I consciously consider going to the event.

One of the prevailing deterrents putting me off from going to this party is that I barely know anybody there. Sure I’ve been to a few uni queer events, but they were mainly movie screenings or talk-presentation, where you just sit through the event without much interaction. At best I know less than five of the people in the queer department well enough to call them friends, the rest are more of an acquaintance.

I’m sure you know the feeling of being at a party whereby you don’t know much people and you’re trying to fit in and make friends. More often than not the situation is unfavourable to the outsider at an event, because everyone would be in their own cliques and groups, and here you are… barely knowing anybody trying to fit in.

Nonetheless the cheap door price and “cheap booze” advertised on the party page sorta helped make up my mind to go. LoL. That, and the fact that I may meet some cute emo artsy guy motivated me to pluck up some courage and attend the event as the “lone guy” that doesn’t know anyone.

I rocked up to the event by myself that night, I do admit that I tried to recruit some friends to go along with me, but either they weren’t interested cause it was a uni/Caucasian event or they were busy. I went by public transport, luckily they were still running as it was a Friday night (late timetables), and when I reached the “venue” I was shocked.



Despite being advertised as a place with a proper name and door entry on the event page online, it was actually a house. Woohoo! A house party! I haven’t been to one of these since second year uni. I went to high school here and all the way up to second year uni I was invited to some of my high school friends’ house parties, but somehow after a while everyone just split ways and my invites to these things died down.

So anyway, it turned out that one of the queer committee members offered his house for the location of the party and that was where the party was. And when they advertised cheap booze, they weren’t kidding, the beers and wines there were going only for three dollars, and the beer was organic as well :P

Frankly speaking I wasn’t sure how they were raising funds when they were practically selling the drinks at cost… but the entry fees probably did raise some money. Maybe one day I’ll have a chat with these artsy committee members and give them some better pricing strategies to raise funds. LoL, think evil “corporate pricing” :P

Overall I had a great time at the party, met a lot of new people, although with all the booze and music I must admit I barely remember most of them. There was this one cute guy, with a floral shirt and a fancy contrasting tie. He studied the flute… haha the implications that went through my mind when he introduced himself… “oh, so you play the flute eh…?” Haha… Anyway, I regret not getting his number, cause it was earlier in the night when we talked and I did sense some reciprocal interest, but he sorta disappeared later into the night… Probably snapped up by some other flute enthusiast.



Party ended in the wee hours of the morning when the coppas finally showed up, probably coz some of the neighbours felt they were entitled to at least some sleep on a Friday night. I did have a great time that night as I had a long week before and finally had the chance to let my hair down, well the cheap booze really helped as well :) I will probably attend these parties again in the future, as I learned a lot of things from it. One thing’s for sure I learned a lot about lesbians… Haha, more coming on that in future posts.

Signing out.

3 comments:

  1. Glad u enjoyed the session.Haha. Yalor. Facebook doesn't have a good record in keeping people's privacy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like fun. how i wish to be in a roomful of sweaty caucasians too. awww shucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn. A college party :) Wish I was there.

    Get some numbers next time. Could make some good friends there.

    ReplyDelete

Findings