Saturday, January 16, 2010

Step Up Step Down

Today I went for my very first BodyStep class, another one of the group fitness sessions by LesMills… and boy was I bad at it. It all started with me arriving early at the gym, and since the BodyStep class was about to begin, I thought to myself why not try it out. So I entered the exercise studio about 5 minutes before the class began. The group instructor was actually chatting to some of the other participants in the class before the class began, and right away I could tell that he was most probably gay, and quite open about it. (for his tone and body actions)

You see, he was gossiping with the other participants about some other women, in which he thinks she went for lipo suction… whereas the participants thought that she got her six pack from all the group fitness classes. My first impression was that he as an instructor shouldn’t be gossiping about others and speculating whether or not they went for lipo suction, because to me it doesn’t seem ethical for a fitness instructor to make that sort of comment.

After he finished his gossiping the Step class started, and the exercise class was basically a choreographed class that involves stepping up and down a piece of plastic exercise step. Well personally I felt he was a terrible instructor, because knowing that me and another girl was new to the class, he went straight into the choreographed dance steps without giving us any idea of what the moves should be like before the music started.



To me that made him a terrible instructor, you see in my other classes… especially BodyPump, the instructor usually showed the important movements in the song track that will be played before hand, this is so that the class can at least get the gist of the required actions and movement to make during the song track. This guy… he didn’t care… knowing that there are two beginners in the class, he still went on with the class as usual without any extra explanation. He could very well have given me a quick simple basic idea before the class started instead of gossiping… but no… he much rather chat with his ‘regular’ participants on whether or not someone got her six pack through lipo suction.

So basically I’m ranting coz I made a fool out of myself in Step class. I couldn’t even add in the hand movements as I was mostly busy looking at everyone’s feet trying to understand what the next set of choreographed movements would be… I was a total newbie in Step and I wasn’t given the help I needed. He didn’t even come up to me after class and ask how was my first Step class… so to me, he didn’t fully fulfil his role as a fitness instructor. Immediately after class, he went back to chit chatting with his 3 ‘regular’ Step class participants (they seem to know each other very well).

Kid: "I HATE STEP!!!"

I could practically read what was on his mind, I bet he is thinking that I wouldn’t turn up for Step class next week anyway… so that’s why he didn’t wanna waste his time going through and teaching me the moves. Well, probably the only reason I wouldn’t go back to Step class is because I got such a bad impression of the first session. It’s a bit like having a bad math teacher in primary school… because of one bad teacher, the student may very well hate maths for the rest of his or her life… and the same can be said with me and my Step class.

Signing out.

4 comments:

  1. which gym u go to again? i know some bad ones and some good ones.. hehe...

    i also lose virginity to step class.. the instructor went thru the moves but i can guess it because its repeated.. and there's the fixed and freestyle..

    and even more so cos he is my bro's bf :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. im not very rhythmic tho... and tht instructor wasnt helpful at all... he only concentrated on his own regular students :( i go to true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. That's so unprofessional! If it were me, I wouldn't have tried and just leave halfway during his class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lucas darling, step class is fun!!!! attend few more classes and you'll falling in love with it! especially track 3 when u got jump step and track 4 with atheletic step. i attend almost all possible class in my gym

    ReplyDelete

Findings