Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Liking The Things We Can't Have

Maybe its just me, but I personally like to blame it on human nature, the fact that we always want the things we can’t have in life. Examples of this would be like buying a very expensive item, when we don’t have it yet… we make up all kinds of reason to buy it… all the advantages of buying it. The elusive and expensive item that we cannot afford, more often than not, seem to be very very useful and attractive. But once we’ve finally saved up enough to buy it, all of a sudden the item seems very normal and after a while the novelty of owning it is lost all together. Another example of this would be when we go out to eat at a fancy new restaurant (which doesn’t happen often enough for my liking), we often find that the dishes we order are inferior to the dishes our friends order, their choices always seem to be better both look wise and taste wise. I’m not sure if these events frequently happen in your lives, but it sure does in mine… I guess this are just all signs of me wanting the things I can’t have.


Okay, you probably can already see where all this is leading to… yes, its all about guys, as usual. A while ago I was going out with a guy that was really sweet, there was however something about him that was missing… that felt incomplete to me. It was as if he was nice, but was not the ideal candidate to be my other half, we sorta tried the whole dating thing, but maybe because of my lack of enthusiasm… which he must have sensed, the whole thing didn’t work out, but we still remained friends.

I recently caught up with him again, and he has changed quite a bit since the last time we were going out together. His views were more mature, and his outlook on life was broader and more realistic. All of a sudden, I wanted him again… I felt he has really come a long way and this positive change was good for him. This change in him gave me the feeling that I could really connect with him, and that we were closer to the same frequency now, compared to back then when we were dating.

Alas, he is attached now… So I can’t help but think to myself, am I liking him sooo much more now because I can’t have him? Or should my reignited attraction to him be attributed to the fact that he has changed to become a better guy? Regardless of the answers to those questions… in hindsight I guess there are aspects of me that have to be changed. For one, I need to stop liking the things I can’t have, and start appreciating the things that are before me. And also I need to start believing that people do posses the potential to change and become a better person. Now thinking back to when I was still dating this guy, if I had appreciated him more, or if I saw his potential to change for the better… We might still be together today… who knows? Right? But I guess that answer to this question would forever more remain unanswered.

Signing out.

4 comments:

  1. :D thanks ichi...
    im glad someone out there gets me

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the lyrics in Sheryl Crow's song go, "It's not having what you want; It's wanting what you've got!"

    Of course, it's easier said than done. But it's not impossible and you'll find true happiness when you've learn to appreciate and love what you have. Goodluck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea Evann :)
    thanks for the luck

    ReplyDelete

Findings