Sunday, August 30, 2009

Are you applying for PR ? Act 2

As I mentioned in my previous post, I always get asked whether or not I’m going to stay in Australia after I finish my studies, and whether or not I’m going to apply for an Australian PR… Apart from family being a factor, another factor that affects my decision on the matter is of course job prospects and wage issues. And by job I mean work, not blow jobs...



If I decide to stay in Australia and apply for a PR, my job prospects and wages might be more attractive in the long run, but I’d have to suffer a bit at the start. Most of you would be puzzled at that statement, but allow me to explain myself. You see there is a policy, to apply for work in most reputable Australian companies, you either have to be an Aussie citizen or have PR. If you have neither, the chances of them hiring you is very very slim. And this happens in all Industries except maybe retail and the F&B industry. So while waiting for their PR application to process, most people will end up working long hours in retail or F&B just to cover their living costs. But seriously, after studying 5 bloody years of university, I’m much more inclined in testing myself in the field that I studied, and not spend time in other industries.


The tricky thing is that in Australia, applying for PR is a little bit like collecting BonusLink card points (a type of rewards card in Malaysia). You accumulate points according to the Aussie immigration system, in which there is a long list you can look up. For example, if you are under 30 years old you get 10 points, and if you studied certain courses you get 10 points… stuff like that. The more points you have accumulated, the faster your application will be processed. Better still if a company agrees to sponsor your application, the process will be much faster than usual.



But you see, its really a chicken and egg situation… Which came first? The chicken or the egg? If there isn’t any chicken there won’t be any eggs… and vice versa. The same goes for the PR application, if a company sponsors you, the application would be fast; but if you don’t have PR or citizenship, companies won’t hire you in the first place. Yup, this is seriously fked up. And so far, I’ve heard stories of people without sponsors that take up to 1 ½ years for the application to be fully processed. So that means if my application takes that long, I’d be working in an industry that is not related to my course for 1 ½ years !!!! OMG, no I don’t think I can deal with that.




The thing is, even in retail and F&B, the basic wages here in Australia is much higher than in Malaysia. Of course if I worked in a corporate or company that is related to my area of studies, then my wages would be even better :) I am told that as a fresh grad in Malaysia, my pay at best would be 36,000 ringgit a year, in Australia however, a fresh grad pay would be on average 40,000 dollars a year. Of course the living standards here is very different, but the wages here is 3 times of what I can get back home… Hence that is why I say the wages here is very attractive. There is still the chicken and egg situation though, I believe I would be able to get a job related to my studies in Malaysia within a few months after I graduate, but in Australia, I have to wait for the application to go through.

So the question for me is, do I want to spend god knows how long working in retail or F&B while waiting for my PR application to go through, just for a chance of a better pay in the future when I do get my PR? Or do I want to head straight back to Malaysia and be able to get a job related to my studies much faster?

Choices choices… and decisions to make >.< I have quite a bit more to say on this topic, but thats for next time.

Signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Findings