Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Semi-Homophobic

Just yesterday I went out with a group of friends, 2 other guys and 2 chicks. The two other guys were gay as well, and the two chicks were most certainly not F** H**s, we were all just good friends. Anyway, over dinner we were having a discussion about homophobia. And the girls were saying how they don’t understand why some of their straight guy friends can be so homophobic. One of them was even saying that she feels she can’t ever date a guy that is homophobic coz she has so many gay friends :) Hurray to her!



So I sorta tried to rationale with the girls by saying, yea some straight guys are homophobic because they think gay guys would jump and rape them whenever we get the chance. Some of the straight guys fail to realise that gay guys are just like any civilised human being. Just coz we thing you’re hot, doesn’t mean we’re going to rape you, its pretty much the same thing as a guy saying another girl looks hot… that doesn’t mean that straight guy is going to just rape her… right? I mean c’mon, GET REAL!

I told the girls that if I was straight and a gay guy told me I was hot, I should really just take it as a compliment. I mean if a girl walked up to me and say “Babe, ur hot!” (which incidentally never happened before T.T) I’d certainly take that as a compliment, even though I’m gay. And the girls were totally nodding in agreement. I then said to the girls, I mean if a lesbian walked up to you and told you you’re hot, you’d certainly take that as a compliment right? WRONG! The girls started shaking their heads saying that they would be totally weirded out. Huh?



I spent the next hour trying to reason with them that it was basically the same thing, but nope… no matter what I said, the girls didn’t see it from my point of view. After the whole conversation, they still feel that they would be totally weirded out with the idea of another lesbian having the hots for them.

I suppose its another case of getting spooked by the things we don’t understand. The girls, which were our good friends understood gays quite well, and didn’t feel threatened by gays, so they weren’t homophobic towards gays. But, since they didn’t understand lesbians, they were homophobic towards them. So I guess in some sense, they were semi-homophobic. I was honestly quite taken aback with the things I discussed over dinner last night. I mean, here they are bagging their homophobic guy friends for disliking gay guys, whereas on the other hand, they dislike lesbians because the idea of lesbians having the hots for them is weird.

I suppose its high time people started to understand each other better so we can stop all these hatred in the world. I guess it would be perfect if the girls understood the fact that the lesbians wont rape them anymore than gays would rape straight guys just because we have the hots for them. Sigh… it takes time for these things to happen, I understand that. So for now, I’m just glad my girl friends understand gays and accept us for who we are :) Coz its always nice to have a girl friend to discuss things with :P

Signing out.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm.. This is rather difficult. Then your friend has no right to say that she can't date a homophobic guy. Cuz she's lesbian-phobic, which still makes her homophobic.

    Perhaps she just needs to have a lesbian friend, then she'd understand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm... do u know of any i can introduce to her :P

    ReplyDelete

Findings