Thursday, February 25, 2010

Reading A Movie


Malaysians do not read? I personally find that hard to believe. Malaysians love to watch a lot of movies right? So how can they not read a lot? Huh... What am I going on about... Well subtitles of course.

In the past four movies I watched, something subtle I noticed in the cinema was that people actually laughed before the actor/actress delivered the punch line… that's coz they read the subtitles first. On some level I find that slightly annoying that people laugh before the jokes are even told, but that totally proves my point that Malaysians read alot more than we think.

I realised I use to read a lot of subtitle as well... For all of you movie readers out there, be warned... If you ever go to Aussie-land... the movies and TV programs have no subtitles... Not even English subtitles. Thinking back a few years, I found that quite a problem when I first watched anything in Aussie-land... But now I suppose I'm just used to not reading the subtitles anymore...

Animes, J-Dramas and K-Dramas requires a lot of subtitle reading if you do not speak the language.

All I'm trying to say is that Malaysians should be given more credit to the amount we read, because we do read a lot more than people think. We may not read a lot of books or newspapers... But we do read movies :) I mean, the amount of subtitle in a movie has got to be at least equivalent to a small book right? Right…? Well except maybe movies like Wally-E, which have barely any lines.

So the next time I see another news report accusing Malaysians of not reading, I may just write in and give them my two cents...

Signing out.

4 comments:

  1. I'm surprised that translated jokes actually work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all the subtitles are a comedy all of their own :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. will, if the traslation works... i guess its funny. if the translation doesnt work, its funny as well, haha.

    paul, yes. direct translation can be a comedy of its own.

    ichi, yea i do watch the normal animes. altho im not very very into them :)

    ReplyDelete

Findings