Tuesday, February 16, 2010

You Belong With Me!


Taylor Swift is one of my favourite artist of late, her song so closely resembles what a lot of high schoolers go through… and maybe because of the high school theme, it makes me think of my younger days, and that is why I have fallen for her songs.

I particularly like ‘You BelongWith Me’, partly because the guy in the music video is sooo cute, but also because I feel I can totally relate to that song as a gay guy. The song could very well have been sung by a gay guy to one of his straight buddies or guy next door that he had a crush on.



You see the references in the song totally fits the bill, it could have been a guy singing it instead of a girl;

“But she wears short skirts
I wear t-shirts
She's cheer captain
And I'm on the bleachers”

“She wears high heels
I wear sneakers”


Obviously guys wear t-shirts, and obviously if our buddy is out on the field playing sports for the school… we’re on the spectators’ bench supporting him. (Bleachers in the US mean spectators bench) And compared to girls, obviously us guys wear sneakers rather than high heels right? Well… unless you’re into drag, then it’s a totally different story.

And sooo many of the references in the song resembles what we do most with our best buddies,

“Walking the streets
With you and your worn out jeans
I can't help thinking
This is how it ought to be
Laughing on a park bench
Thinking to myself
Hey, isn't this easy?”

Don’t we spend so much time with our best buddy when his pesky girlfriend isn’t around, so much so that we feel that we were meant to be?

“And you've got a smile
That could light up this whole town
I haven't seen it in awhile
Since she brought you down
You say you're fine
I know you better than that
Hey what you doing
With a girl like that”

The best buddy always had the bestest smile in the whole world, and sure… when he first got a girlfriend, he was very happy. But after a while, we as a close friend can see that she was bringing 'you' down… yet you still stayed with her… and at times even tried to trick us, your bestest buddy in the whole world, that you are fine. As if we would fall for that.



And here we are always…

“Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time”

Hoping that you’ll realise the obvious, that…

“she doesn't get your humor
Like I do”

and

“She'll never know your story
Like I do”

And also realise all the ‘non-physical’ intimate times we spent together when…

“Oh, I remember
You driving to my house
In the middle of the night
I'm the one who makes you laugh
When you know you're about to cry
And I know your favourite songs
And you tell me about your dreams
Think I know where you belong
Think I know it's with me”

Finally like all crushes on your best buddy, we would hope beyond hope…

“Can't you see
That I'm the one
Who understands you
Been here all along
So why can't you see?
You belong with me.”

But after all that, waking up from a dazed dream… we would realise that the reality is that you are straight… and always will be. And then and only then, will we accept that you will have to find your way in the world without us being by your side… but with another girl… your other half…


*update* I realized I changed the tone from describing the buddy as a third person to directing the post at him...


Signing out.

5 comments:

  1. haha i felt the same way when i heard this song.

    another song i think gay guys can sing is Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl

    "I kissed a girl and I liked it, hope my BOYFRIEND don't mind it... It felt so wrong, it felt so right, don't mean I'm in love tonight."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized I changed the tone from describing the buddy as a third person to directing the post at him... How strange...

    No significance takeshi...

    Yea, j-boy... Hehe curse of the gay boy in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL
    that;s something new. never thought it could be interpreted that way. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha..I like the Guy in the MTV as well! So perfect face! Hehe. My Horny BF"s fav song....Hmmm

    ReplyDelete

Findings